Friday, February 13, 2009

A Happy Surprise

Dave had a business trip on Thursday. He was scheduled for a one-day trip, but found out at the last minute that it would actually be two days. Dave used to travel a lot for his job -for a week or more at a time- so you'd think I would be used to it, but recently he hasn't had to travel a lot and I am a bit out of practice.

Sure enough, on Thursday night after I fed the kids dinner I found myself wasting time on the computer, trying to get up enough energy to put the kids to bed. Even though Dave often gets home late from work, I always look forward to seeing him when he gets home. If I was being honest with myself, I was lonely and missing him, feeling sad and sorry for myself that he was going to be gone for two whole days.

I heard the front door open and felt a twinge of irritation. "Jared and Camryn know they aren't supposed to open the front door without me," I grumbled to myself. Then I heard footsteps coming up the stairs- footsteps that were much heavier than Jared's or Camryn's. It was Dave! He had decided to come home early and just skip the second part of his trip. I was so excited to see him- and to have him come home at the exact moment when I was missing him. Skipping the second part of his trip meant he had to stay up practically all night to prepare something to make up for his absence. But (call me selfish), I had my husband back. =]

No comments: