Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Postscript to "Workin' It"

Believe it or not, I did finish planting the front yard before we left for California. I started to tally up how many plants I dug holes for and planted (or transplanted) and I think it was close to 50. Quite shocking, especially because our front yard isn't even that big. And at least 6 or 7 of them were some pretty size-able ones. Did I mention I broke a shovel? =] OK, fine. I'll stop patting myself on the back for my pregnant feats of muscle power and move on with this post.

I did eventually get ready for our trip, including house-cleaning, vacuuming out our minivan (a.k.a unearthing a french-fry burial site) and getting the oil changed on the car. And... I would like you to take a moment of silence to acknowledge that I had- I kid you not- all the bathrooms in my house clean AT THE SAME TIME. [moment of awed silence]

Now I will try to ignore the fact that despite my hard-working days of trip preparation we STILL left at 10:00 am instead of 6:00 am, had dirty dishes in the sink, and by the time we left I was fighting off tears of frustration at how impossible it is to pack up, clean up and mobilize a house of five people. You can't win them all.

No comments: