Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Yesterday's Post

Well, I missed a day of posting... so much for having a perfect record for NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month). Although I guess I started a few days late so I didn't have a perfect record to begin with. I meant to post yesterday but it just didn't happen. I'll be blunt. Yesterday was a tough day. I usually try to wait to write about tough days until a bit of time has passed and I can be philosophical about it. So I kept trying to come up with something else to write about, but my mind was stuck in the present.

It wasn't like yesterday was the worst day ever or anything. There wasn't even anything unusually bad about it. I just was more tired than usual- the new baby less-than-perfect-night's-sleep is starting to catch up with me, Adelyn was more hungry and fussy than usual and Jackson... well he was his normal, curious self. =] To quote my facebook status update from yesterday at 8:00 am: "Dear Jackson, Thank you for turning off the timer for my steel-cut oats, turning on the wall oven broiler, dumping 1/2 a bag of cereal on the floor and getting into the raisins- all within 30 minutes of waking up. You keep my days exciting. Love, Mommy."

None of this would have been insurmountable if I hadn't actually tried to get something done. I had some stuff to do for Cantico (the choir that I co-direct). We have tickets going on sale for our Christmas concert this week, plus I'm in the thick of planning for next season. Every time I finished nursing Addy and tried to set her down, she would start crying within about 30 seconds. I think she must be having a growth spurt because she basically just wanted to be nursed the entire day. Or held. And meanwhile, Jackson used this opportunity to climb on counters, get into cupboards and explore whatever he could before I finally got up, nursing and all to get him down. (When Dave picked Jackson up from nursery on Sunday the nursery leader told him that we need to work with Jackson this week because he kept trying to stand or sit on the snack table, which would inspire all of the other kids to want to do the same. Great. He's not even 2 and already we need to "work with him" on his behavior for church.) Or if I finally had set Adelyn down, Jackson would go over and "hug" her and wake her up and generally raise my blood pressure by "being nice" and "playing" with Addy. I finally got Jackson to take a nap, but had to wake him up early to take Jared to cub scouts. (Are you ever tempted to stay sitting in the car longer after you are done driving, merely because it means your child is strapped in and contained?)

I finally got Addy to take a nap by wearing her in the baby carrier for 2 1/2 hours. She is not that heavy, but by the end of it I was starting to get tired. I made it through dinner and, thankfully, Dave got home in time to help put the kids to bed. After the kids were in bed, Dave and I started watching Dancing with the Stars from our DVR, but I was falling asleep within about 20 minutes. So that is my very long excuse for why I didn't post yesterday.

No comments: