Saturday, April 18, 2009

Jackson the Helper

Today I finally mopped our huge kitchen floor. I won't say how long it's been, but it was waaaay overdue. It took forever, but I got down on my hands and knees and did my best to restore cleanliness to that part of our house and remove the damage of Jackson's food target practice. It didn't help that Jackson followed me around for the whole process, pulling down at the waistband of my sweats. He thought it was funny and the more I asked him to stop, the more he pulled and the lower my sweats went. Then he would laugh harder and whack at my bare back. After a while, I got into a rhythm: mop, pull up sweats, "No Jackson!", mop, pull up sweats, "No Jackson!".

Jackson loves to be a great helper. One of his recent discoveries is the knob that turns on our oven. Seriously, who was the genius that designed an oven/stove with the knobs within reach of a toddler? I suppose they just didn't want you to have to reach across the lit gas burners to turn the stove knob. Nobody wants to burn an arm or risk lighting your sleeve on fire.... but instead I have a baby who is constantly turning on our oven and turning the stove burner knobs. If a burner is on he turns it up to full blast. Really, which is more likely: that I will accidentally set a sleeve on fire from reaching across a lit burner or that my toddler will turn the stove knobs while I am not looking and accidentally burn our house down? I'm sure if Jackson could speak for himself he would say he is just trying to be prepared: with him around the oven is always pre-heated and ready to go.

Jackson's other great love is the dishwasher. He is strong enough to open the dishwasher door now. He loves to interrupt the cycle and see the steam some out of the door. If the cycle is done, he likes to open the door, stand on it and "empty" the dishwasher. What can I say? He loves to help. His latest newfound skill is learning to press the buttons that start the dishwasher. Frequently I will come into the kitchen and find the dishwasher running. I open it to check and find either an empty dishwasher or a batch of clean dishes that I just hadn't emptied yet. What would I do without my little helper?

2 comments:

ped crossing said...

I do believe you have your work cut out for you with that little one. He sounds like one busy boy.

Lara Neves said...

He and Sophie would get along so well (have I said that before?) I could have written everything in this post a year ago. She's calmed down, you'll be happy to know. :)