Sunday, June 29, 2008

A Rant on Why I'm Irritated

I'm really irritated right now because I want to post pictures from our trip so I don't have a text-only blog. The problem is that in order to do that I would have to be able to locate my camera... and the cord to plug it in to the computer. Small details. Did I mention that I can't locate a set of nail clippers (I only own 4)? Or that my office is still a disastrous mess of boxes and junk intertwined with the remains of Camryn's "craft" projects? Or that I still step over a box to turn on the light when I walk into my office? Yes, every single time, and it's been that way for several months now....

I know I just need to get off my duff and start getting organized and unpacked. We've been in the new house for 3 months now, so I'm starting to lose my excuse of "we just moved." On Thursday I decided, "That's it! I'm going to turn over a new leaf and stop wasting time. I will use my time wisely and productively and do what's really important." And so my day started. I actually recorded everything that I did all day. And I found that pretty much I spend all day preparing, feeding and cleaning up meals. Oh yeah, and doing laundry. So I really am doing something all day long-- just not cleaning up my office.

But I really am starting to go nuts that we've been here three months and I still can't find anything. Eighty percent of the time when the phone rings I can't find the handset (one is permanently missing...) and have to go running in search of it. I need order! I want sanity! But it's kind of hard to find it when I'm too busy keeping up with day to day clean-up. This is really only the most basic kind of clean-up-- we're still eating off paper plates most of the time. You know it's gotten bad when you say, "Jared, will you clear the table so we can eat dinner?" No that wasn't a typo... before the table can be set we need to get rid of the remains from the previous meal that are still sitting there in all of their decorative loveliness... Sigh. I'm really not a slob at heart. Honest. If only the odds weren't stacked against me: 5 messer-uppers to 1 cleaner-upper.

There... now that I've said that I'm going to obsess about something else. I just started to notice that everyone else has blogs and they are cuter than mine. My entries are too long and picture-less. Why would anyone want to read a stupid account of my family reunion and hike?

Did I mention that I'm sick of looking post-baby frump? After all of my efforts to get back into shape and down to my goal weight, all of that went down the tube with one pregnancy and I'm back into a state of perma-flab. I thought that maybe because I gained 10 pounds less with this pregnancy, the pounds would come off quicker, but I was wrong. I need to exercise, but it's hard to justify the time on it when my bathroom sinks are growing algae and toilets are collecting bacteria specimens-- besides I'm too tired to feel like it anyway.

And it's irritating when I do exercise: before I got pregnant with Jackson I faithfully worked out for an hour or two 2-3 times a week. I did a high-intensity cardio workout for at least 45 minutes followed by weight training. Within weeks of getting pregnant (before I even started to show), I was huffing and puffing like I'd never seen an elliptical in my life, and it' s unfortunately stayed that way since. What's the point of working out for a solid year when all of your fitness can go out the window in an instant? I feel even worse because it seems like about half of my friends are runners and do marathons (or at least half-marathons)-- some of them keep running while they are pregnant-- did I mention they get up at 5:30 am to go running? Yeah, I know-- just shoot me.

So there's my rant. I could go on but I won't. I'm just in a bad mood.

1 comment:

Tenise said...

Oh Karen!! Hugs. I'm sorry you're going through all that! But, it makes me feel SO much better that someone who I look up to as much as you struggles with the exact same stuff I do! It makes me feel less alone!

We are constantly in a state of moving/unpacking/packing.. I have runner envy too! Oh, and I loved your tavelougue! So, please keep posting. The longer the better! Your style of writing just cracks me up, and I'm constantly checking to see if you've added any updates!