Saturday, January 15, 2011

London: Day 4

London Day 4:
It was an awesome day, complete with the National Gallery, a piano duo concert at St. Martin-in-the-Fields church, walking around Covent Garden, crossing the Millennium footbridge, walking along the south bank of the Thames, going to Borough Market (foodie heaven!), window shopping at Harrod's and seeing Rachmaninoff's 2nd with the London Royal Philharmonic at Royal Albert Hall. Pretty jam packed. We're having a great time. Hopefully Paris won't be shut down by the strikes when we go tomorrow. 
The National Gallery
Trafalgar Square

St. Martin-in-the-Fields: the location of a fabulous lunchtime piano duo concert we attended. Rhapsody in Blue, anyone?


Trafalgar Square, taken from the National Gallery

My quintessential vacation pose: scrutinizing a map.

Me in front of St. Martin-in-the-Fields

Ranell and I in front of the National Gallery

Ranell in front of the market at Covent Garden

Remember Henry Higgins dumping his change to Eliza Doolittle when the clock strikes? This is the place.

Ben's Cookies: only found in Covent Garden-- or the Gateway Mall in Salt Lake City (how random is that?)
Ben's Cookies at Covent Garden
Giant Paella pans

On a double-decker bus, approaching St. Paul's Cathedral.
In case you need to dispose of yours.


Another view of St. Paul's

Our standby grab-and-go eatery. Home of my delicious yogurt parfaits.
One of the ubiquitous black cabs.
Me on the Millennium Footbridge with London Bridge (?) in the background.

On the Millennium Footbridge, St. Paul's behind us.

Ranell in front of the Tate Modern.
Coming off the Millennium Footbridge, St. Paul's in the distance.
Ranell in front of Shakespeare's Globe.


Me at Borough Market- foodie heaven!

My beloved sea salt at Borough Market. (My sister-in-law bought me some when she went to London years ago and I was thrilled to find the exact stuff I have been craving since mine ran out!)
Window shopping at Harrod's.

Harrod's gourmet produce.

I think I need to get me one of these for my entryway. What do you think?
Every self-respecting new mum needs a £1000 baby perambulator.
Royal Albert Hall
About to enjoy Rachmaninoff's Second Piano Concerto

Ranell "sipping tea"  in our hotel room, sporting her "Mind the Gap" tee.

1 comment:

Greek Goddess said...

Ahhh, brings back such happy memories. Love your photos.