Monday, October 26, 2009

You Win Some, You Lose Some

Today was Adelyn's two-week checkup (a few days late). She managed to poop all over the exam table at the doctor's office and again later on her blanket. But after lots of worry that she wasn't eating enough and that she wouldn't regain her birth weight in two weeks (and I would have to pump and supplement and struggle with my milk supply like Jackson when he was brand new), today she made it past her birth weight to 8 lb. 1 oz., so we are in the clear! I guess her ready supply of poop should have proven that she has at least been eating something....

Our grocery supply was down to almost nothing, so after the appointment I made my first attempt at going solo to Costco with Jackson and baby. Miraculously, Adelyn slept the entire time we were at the store ...which she made up for by nursing for an hour straight when we got home (which made putting the groceries away become a multi-hour process). I managed to make it through the whole store even though Jackson decided midway that he did NOT want her baby carrier next to him in the cart so I had to carry it in one hand while pushing the heavy cart with the other. Of course I compensated for my effort by several impulse food purchases that would have easily paid for the cute candlesticks that I wanted to get for the mantel but passed over. I also ended up "saving" lots of money with Costco coupons and buying at least two items that I didn't realize I already had in bulk-sized multi-packs at home. At least now I have my emergency supply of frozen berries. Grrrr... Costco is a dangerous place.

I got home and got Jackson fed (or at least gave him food to throw from his high chair tray to the floor) in between Adelyn's marathon of feedings, but didn't get myself lunch until after the kids got home from school. I did manage to eventually get all of the groceries put away. I even got Jackson down for his nap-- only 2 1/2 hours late!

It just occurred to me that I had some clever theme for this blog post when I began, but it somehow has escaped me somewhere along the way. I also realized that I am writing "I got the groceries put away" as a highlight of note from my day. As fascinating as this must be for my readers, I think that means that it is time to end this post. 

(BTW, is anyone else shocked by how much they spent on Halloween candy (between buying candy for the Trunk-or-Treat and trick-or-treaters)? Maybe it's time to get cheap-o candy instead of the candy bar mix...)

Um, Addy just pooped again. I guess it really is time to end this post.

2 comments:

Jadie said...

LOL! You are such a good writer, Karen. Even poop and groceries sound entertaining--no small feat!! Yes, Costco is a very dangerous place. My hubby gets a teensy bit uptight anytime he learns I've gone there. I have no idea why. ;)

Jacki said...

Life with a newborn...