Thursday, January 18, 2007

You Had A Bad Day

Last Saturday I went and bought quarts of 3 colors of paint that I was considering for our bedroom. I had narrowed it down by hours of debate and was sure that I would love any one of these 3 colors. I got them home and painted 8 1/2 x11 paper with the colors to have a bigger sample. After they dried, I held them up in our room and thought, "What was I thinking? None of these colors is right for our room. They are WAY off. I just wasted $30 on paint that we aren't going to ever use."

Yesterday was a bad day. It was our second day of being "snowed in" (with school cancelled). I decided to put aside my distaste for being cold (and wet snow stuff all over the hous) and take the kids sledding with the neighbors again. After spending hours getting wet and cold, we came back and dumped all of our snow stuff in our living room and tried to get lunch on, two hours late. At this point I started to take a look around our house and notice the piles of stuff in random places, the dishes and leftover food decaying in the sink, the food getting ground into the carpet and the piles of laundry waiting to be done.

The kids got cranky from sledding too long instead of eating lunch and then argued all afternoon in between TV shows (after all, who gets to turn off the TV first when they are done is a BIG issue). We went to Jared's gymnastics class at 4:00 only to find that it had been cancelled. No problem, I thought, I'll just have the kids go to childwatch while I have a quick workout. I got them dropped off and went to get changed for my workout and realized that I forgot my gym shoes. So I picked the kids up to go home and they were ticked at me because they wanted to play at childwatch. When I told Jared that we had to go home because I forgot my shoes, he said, "I thought grown-ups were supposed to know more than kids." Then he and Camryn fought the whole way home over sharing the Wheat Thins that they begged off of the lady at childwatch. I finally lost my temper and yelled at them, telling them that if they didn't stop being mean to each other they were going to both go to bed for the rest of the day.

When I got home, I was left to wallow in my failure. This is so stupid, I thought. I can't do anything. I can't keep organized, I can't get up on time, I can't keep my house clean, I can't keep my kids from killing each other, I can't make lunch on time, I can't keep my kids from watching hours of TV a day, I can't serve vegetables or whole grains with our meals, I can't get dressed at a reasonable hour of the morning, I can't do the dishes or keep up with the laundry, I can't keep algae from growing in our bathroom sink, I can't remember my shoes, I can't get the kids to bed on time or stick to my budget or get out of store in less than 45 minutes.... I'm beginning to wonder, is there anything I can do? Well, I guess I can write an update about how much it stunk.

Karen

No comments: